The summary for the Opportunity PAR-06-470 grant is detailed below. This summary states who is eligible for the grant, how much grant money will be awarded, current and past deadlines, Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) numbers, and a sampling of similar government grants. Verify the accuracy of the data FederalGrants.com provides by visiting the webpage noted in the Link to Full Announcement section or by contacting the appropriate person listed as the Grant Announcement Contact. If any section is incomplete, please visit the website for the National Institutes of Health, which is the U.S. government agency offering this grant.
Opportunity PAR-06-470: -The Minority Opportunities in Research (MORE) Division of NIGMS re-announces the Institutional Research and Academic Career Development Award (IRACDA) Initiative, which seeks to combine mentored postdoctoral research at a research-intensive institution with an opportunity for candidates to develop teaching skills through mentored assignments at a Minority Serving Institution. -Because the nature and scope of the proposed research will vary from application to application, it is anticipated that the size and duration of each award will also vary. The total amount awarded and the number of awards will depend upon the numbers, quality, duration, and costs of the applications received. -This funding opportunity will use the Institutional Research and Academic Career Development Award (K12) award mechanism.
|Federal Grant Title:||Opportunity PAR-06-470|
|Federal Agency Name:||National Institutes of Health|
|Type of Opportunity:||Discretionary|
|Funding Opportunity Number:||PAR-06-470|
|Type of Funding:||Grant|
|CFDA Descriptions:||Biomedical Research and Research Training|
|Current Application Deadline:||Jan 07, 2010 Multi|
|Original Application Deadline:||Jan 07, 2010 Multi|
|Posted Date:||Jun 16, 2006|
|Creation Date:||Dec 10, 2008|
|Archive Date:||Feb 07, 2010|
|Total Program Funding:|
|Maximum Federal Grant Award:||$500,000|
|Minimum Federal Grant Award:|
|Expected Number of Awards:||2|
|Cost Sharing or Matching:||No|
- Applicants Eligible for this Grant
- Public and State controlled institutions of higher education - Nonprofits having a 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education - Nonprofits that do not have a 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education - Private institutions of higher education - For profit organizations other than small businesses - Others (see text field entitled "Additional Information on Eligibility" for clarification)
- Additional Information on Eligibility
- Foreign institutions are not eligible to apply. This initiative encourages innovative solutions to the problems of attracting and training postdoctoral candidates in both research and academic skills, and also of increasing opportunities for students at MSIs. Applicant institutions therefore have wide latitude in the design of the program. However, career development activities, which should last two to three years, must include the following components: 1) A research experience typical of other competitive postdoctoral opportunities. The research mentor will sponsor and oversee the proposed research development program and will ensure that the candidate receives the proper experience for a future research career. The mentor is expected to be a collaborator on the candidate's research project. However, the candidate may conduct collaborative research with other experienced researchers, subject to approval of the mentor. 2) A mentored teaching experience, the practicum of which will take place at a MSI. Approximately 25% of the effort must be spent on this activity, the timing of which may be flexible over the duration of the award. The activity must emphasize modern pedagogy. The teaching mentor will sponsor and oversee the proposed academic development program and will ensure that the candidate receives the proper experience for the future academic career. 3) Other mentored and/or didactic experiences to improve problem solving or management skills deemed important for an individual to prosper in an academic research environment. 4) Flexibility in program design may include flexibility in scheduling. For example, a plan might involve large blocks of time devoted to research separated by a large block of time devoted to teaching (e.g., research for one year, teach for one year, research for one year). Alternatively, for institutions in close proximity, the teaching may represent a 25% effort throughout the award. 5) Combining research and teaching in a single career development program offers certain challenges. Designing a program that moves a postdoctoral candidate between partners of a consortium offers other challenges. A strong application will evidence a solid working relationship among partners of the consortium and will include plans that anticipate and mitigate the challenges. It should involve all partners in the planning and execution of the elements of the career development program.
- Link to Full Grant Announcement
- Information not provided
- Grant Announcement Contact
- NIH OER Webmaster [email protected]
If you have any problems linking to this funding announcement, please contact the NIH OER Webmaster [[email protected]]
- Similar Government Grants
- • Innovative Programs to Enhance Research Training (IPERT) (R25 - Independent Clinical Trial...
- • Maximizing Investigators' Research Award (R35 - Clinical Trial Optional)
- • Institutional Research and Academic Career Development Awards (IRACDA) (K12 - Independent ...
- • Maximizing Opportunities for Scientific and Academic Independent Careers (MOSAIC) Postdoct...
- • Maximizing Opportunities for Scientific and Academic Independent Careers (MOSAIC) Institut...
- • Tools for Genetic and Genomic Studies in Emerging Model Organisms
- • Evolution of Infectious Diseases
- • Mbrs Support of Continuous Research Excellence (Score)
- More Grants from the National Institutes of Health
- • Ethical Issues in Translational Science Research (R01 Clinical Trial Optional)
- • A Collaborative Network to Optimize Emergency Care of Older Adults with Alzheimers Disease...
- • Innovations to Foster Healthy Longevity in Low-Income Settings (R03 Clinical Trial Not All...
- • HIV-associated Non-Communicable Diseases Research at Low- and Middle-Income Country Instit...
- • National Dental Practice-Based Research Network Clinical Trial or Observational Study Plan...