NWS Office of Science and Technology Integration: Unified Forecast System
The summary for the NWS Office of Science and Technology Integration: Unified Forecast System grant is detailed below. This summary states who is eligible for the grant, how much grant money will be awarded, current and past deadlines, Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) numbers, and a sampling of similar government grants. Verify the accuracy of the data FederalGrants.com provides by visiting the webpage noted in the Link to Full Announcement section or by contacting the appropriate person listed as the Grant Announcement Contact. If any section is incomplete, please visit the website for the Department of Commerce, which is the U.S. government agency offering this grant.
NWS Office of Science and Technology Integration: Unified Forecast System: NOAA’s National Weather Service (NWS) Office of Science and Technology Integration (OSTI) is soliciting research proposals to support NOAA’s development of the community-based, coupled, comprehensive earth modeling system, the Unified Forecast System (UFS). The UFS is designed to provide more accurate forecast guidance through operational numerical weather prediction applications. These applications span local and global domains, and predictive time scales from sub-hourly to seasonal. This solicitation favors projects at specific stages of maturity as signified by their readiness level as described in Section 1.A. There are three competitions from this notification valued at approximately $2,800,000 for the first year of multi-year (2-year) projects that will advance development of the UFS: 1) Next Generation Global Prediction System (NGGPS); 2) Weeks 3-4 Program; and 3) Hurricane Forecast Improvement Program (HFIP). Research projects to advance NGGPS will propose accelerating development of improved global weather prediction models; coupling among atmosphere, ocean, land surface and ice system model components; improving data assimilation techniques; improving ensemble techniques; developing post-processing forecast tools and techniques; or improving software architecture, computational performance and system engineering. Proposals pertaining to the advancement of the Weeks 3-4 program will focus on the development of a coupled UFS system including data assimilation approaches, extending the forecast of the UFS from 3 weeks to seasonal timescales, and developing metrics including validation and verification. Proposals for the HFIP initiative will relate to research required to improve operational tropical cyclone forecasting to meet societal requirements to effectively mitigate economic disruption.
|Federal Grant Title:||NWS Office of Science and Technology Integration: Unified Forecast System|
|Federal Agency Name:||Department of Commerce (DOC)|
|Grant Categories:||Environment, Natural Resources, Science and Technology and other Research and Development|
|Type of Opportunity:||Discretionary|
|Funding Opportunity Number:||NOAA-NWS-NWSPO-2020-2006290|
|Type of Funding:||Cooperative Agreement|
|CFDA Descriptions:||Information not provided|
|Current Application Deadline:||February 7th, 2020|
|Original Application Deadline:||February 7th, 2020|
|Posted Date:||November 1st, 2019|
|Creation Date:||November 1st, 2019|
|Archive Date:||March 8th, 2020|
|Total Program Funding:||$2,800,000|
|Maximum Federal Grant Award:||$250,000|
|Minimum Federal Grant Award:||$100,000|
|Expected Number of Awards:||15|
|Cost Sharing or Matching:||No|
|Last Updated:||November 1st, 2019|
- Applicants Eligible for this Grant
- Others (see text field entitled "Additional Information on Eligibility" for clarification.)
- Additional Information on Eligibility
- Eligible applicants are U.S. institutions of higher education; U.S.-based commercial organizations; state, local and Indian tribal governments in the U.S.; and other U.S. non-profit organizations and federally funded educational institutions such as the Naval Postgraduate School. Any federal employee or federal contractor listed as a co-PI, co-I, or collaborator on the title page of a proposal (if eligible) must have provided explicit pre-approval to the PI to be identified as a contributor to the proposed project prior to submission of the application. A letter of support or email acknowledging participation in the proposed project by the federal employee or federal contractor must be included within the application. All funded investigators must assure and verify, if requested, that they will not be allocated for greater than 100% of their annual employment time should their proposal be selected for funding. NOAA will verify this requirement if funding is recommended.
- Grant Announcement Contact
- For questions about this announcement, contact the NWS OSTI Modeling Program Office via email at email@example.com.
- Similar Government Grants
- • Collaborative Science, Technology, and Applied Research (CSTAR) Program
- • Round 3 of Research to Operations Initiative: NOAA Testbeds
- • Round 3 of Research to Operations Initiative: NGGPS and HFIP
- • National Weather Service MSI Program
- • Remote Community Alert Systems Program
- More Grants from the Department of Commerce
- • FY 2020 SPRINT Challenge
- • FY2021 to FY2023 NOAA Broad Agency Announcement (BAA)
- • FY21 Regional Ecosystem Research Program: Understanding Species’ Habitat Usage and C...
- • FY2021 Marine Debris Research
- • CZM Projects of Special Merit Competition - FY 2021