Resident Instruction Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas (RIIA) and Distance Education Grants for Insular Areas (DEG)
The summary for the Resident Instruction Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas (RIIA) and Distance Education Grants for Insular Areas (DEG) grant is detailed below. This summary states who is eligible for the grant, how much grant money will be awarded, current and past deadlines, Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) numbers, and a sampling of similar government grants. Verify the accuracy of the data FederalGrants.com provides by visiting the webpage noted in the Link to Full Announcement section or by contacting the appropriate person listed as the Grant Announcement Contact. If any section is incomplete, please visit the website for the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, which is the U.S. government agency offering this grant.
Resident Instruction Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas (RIIA) and Distance Education Grants for Insular Areas (DEG): The purpose of the RIIA grants program is to promote and strengthen the ability of Insular Area Institutions (see definition in Part VIII, E.) to carry out teaching and education programs within the broadly defined food and agricultural sciences-related disciplines. The term ''food and agricultural sciences'' means basic, applied, and developmental research, extension, and teaching activities in food and fiber, agricultural, renewable natural resources, forestry, and physical and social sciences, including activities relating to the following: (1) Animal health, production, and well-being. (2) Plant health and production. (3) Animal and plant germ plasm collection and preservation. (4) Aquaculture. (5) Food safety. (6) Soil and water conservation and improvement. (7) Forestry, horticulture, and range management. (8) Nutritional sciences and promotion. (9) Farm enhancement, including financial management, input efficiency, and profitability. (10) Home economics. (11) Rural human ecology. (12) Youth development and agricultural education, including 4-H clubs. (13) Expansion of domestic and international markets for agricultural commodities and products, including agricultural trade barrier identification and analysis. (14) Information management and technology transfer related to agriculture. (15) Biotechnology related to agriculture. (16) The processing, distributing, marketing, and utilization of food and agricultural products. The purpose of the DEG program is to promote and strengthen the ability of Insular Area Institutions to: (1) acquire the equipment, instrumentation, networking capability, hardware and software, digital network technology, and infrastructure necessary to teach students and teachers about technology in the classroom; (2) develop and provide educational services (including faculty development) to prepare students or faculty seeking a degree or certificate that is approved by the State or a regional accrediting body recognized by the Secretary of Education; (3) provide teacher education, library and media specialist training, and preschool and teacher aid certification to individuals who seek to acquire or enhance technology skills in order to use technology in the classroom or instructional process; (4) implement a joint project to provide education regarding technology in the classroom with a local educational agency, community-based organization, national nonprofit organization, or business; or (5) provide leadership development to administrators, board members, and faculty of eligible institutions with institutional responsibility for technology education. The amount available for support of the RIIA program in FY 2010 is approximately $860,000 and support for the DEG program in FY 2010 is approximately $720,000.
|Federal Grant Title:||Resident Instruction Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas (RIIA) and Distance Education Grants for Insular Areas (DEG)|
|Federal Agency Name:||National Institute of Food and Agriculture|
|Grant Categories:||Agriculture Education|
|Type of Opportunity:||Discretionary|
|Funding Opportunity Number:||USDA-NIFA-RIGP-002820|
|Type of Funding:||Grant|
|CFDA Descriptions:||Resident Instruction Grants for Insular Area Activities|
|Current Application Deadline:||Apr 05, 2010|
|Original Application Deadline:||Apr 05, 2010|
|Posted Date:||Jan 15, 2010|
|Creation Date:||Jan 15, 2010|
|Archive Date:||May 06, 2010|
|Total Program Funding:||$1,580,000|
|Maximum Federal Grant Award:||$1,500,000|
|Minimum Federal Grant Award:||$35,000|
|Expected Number of Awards:|
|Cost Sharing or Matching:||No|
- Applicants Eligible for this Grant
- Others (see text field entitled "Additional Information on Eligibility" for clarification)
- Additional Information on Eligibility
- An eligible institution is an institution of higher education located in an Insular Area and has a demonstrable capacity to carry out teaching and extension programs in the food and agricultural sciences. Individual land-grant colleges and universities, and other institutions that have secured land-grant status through Federal legislation, and located in Insular Areas are automatically eligible for awards under this program, either as direct applicants or as parties to a consortium agreement.
- Link to Full Grant Announcement
- Information not provided
- Grant Announcement Contact
- NIFA Help Desk Phone: 202-401-5048 Business hours are M-F, 7:00 am -5:00 pm ET, excluding Federal holidays
If you have any questions related to preparing application content [email@example.com ]
- Similar Government Grants
- • Resident Instruction Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas
- • Resident Instruction Grants (RIIA) Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular...
- • Resident Instruction Grants Program for Insular Areas
- • Resident Instruction Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas ...
- More Grants from the National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- • Higher Education Challenge (HEC) Grants Program
- • Hispanic-Serving Institutions - Education Grants Program
- • Scholarships for Students at 1890 Institutions Program (1890 Scholarships) RFA
- • Distance Education Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas (D...
- • Specialty Crop Research Initiative Pre-Applications