Iran Democracy Program Announcement
The summary for the Iran Democracy Program Announcement grant is detailed below. This summary states who is eligible for the grant, how much grant money will be awarded, current and past deadlines, Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) numbers, and a sampling of similar government grants. Verify the accuracy of the data FederalGrants.com provides by visiting the webpage noted in the Link to Full Announcement section or by contacting the appropriate person listed as the Grant Announcement Contact. If any section is incomplete, please visit the website for the Middle East Partnership Initiative, which is the U.S. government agency offering this grant.
Iran Democracy Program Announcement: I. Funding Opportunity Description: The Office of the Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI) announces an open competition for grant applications that support democratic governance and reform in Iran. This represents a new MEPI funding initiative and submissions must outline activities linked to reform and demonstrate how the proposed approach would achieve sustainable impact in Iran. Submitting organizations must articulate capacity and expertise in civil society programming, and knowledge of local conditions and needs. Strengthening and multiplying the number of organizations engaging in democratic practices such as the rule of law, government accountability, access to independent sources of information, freedom of association and speech, and free, fair and competitive elections will increase the contributions of Iranians to their own futures and those of their society. MEPI has particular interest in supporting programs that are innovative and that meet needs and opportunities not already addressed by current donor funding. Accordingly, this request seeks projects to broaden and deepen within Iran the means and modes of publicly expressed and responsible citizen views on reform in all its aspects. The range of possible themes and issues includes, but is not limited to:. freedom of association. the right of citizens to access independent sources of information; . the right to advocate responsibly on important issues and debate ideas freely with other citizens and local, regional, and national government representatives without fear of retribution, including through democratically organized and legal political parties; . the right to participate in local and national governance processes; . the right to transparent and effective government services, including regular public accountability for monies spent; . the right to speedy, fair, and transparent access to courts of law to settle civil, commercial, and criminal matters; . the right to participate as candidates and supporters in transparently organized, free, fair and competitive democratic elections. MEPI seeks to strengthen the community of Iranian reformers at the local and national levels, and support reformers with demonstrated commitment as they work to build broader alliances with new stakeholder groups around issues of core democratic values. MEPI supports programs that link reformers within and across national boundaries and use local organizational capacity to leverage opportunities to advance reform. When a U.S. or European based NGO proposes to lead a project, we strongly encourage partnerships that will help suitable local organizations expand and become vibrant and strongly led. Background Information about MEPI: MEPI is a Presidential initiative to promote positive change in the Middle East and North Africa through diplomatic efforts and through results-oriented programs, both regional and specific to individual countries. Reform is of strategic, long-term importance to the national security interests of the United States and to the U.S. goal of ensuring that the people of the region experience the benefits that come with more open economies, greater educational opportunities, and political freedom. A key element of MEPI is creating links and partnerships between civil societies and governments to jointly achieve sustainable reform.
|Federal Grant Title:||Iran Democracy Program Announcement|
|Federal Agency Name:||Middle East Partnership Initiative|
|Type of Opportunity:||Discretionary|
|Funding Opportunity Number:||IDPA-03-09-06|
|Type of Funding:||Cooperative Agreement Grant|
|CFDA Descriptions:||Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI)|
|Current Application Deadline:||No deadline provided|
|Original Application Deadline:||Jul 31, 2006|
|Posted Date:||Mar 08, 2006|
|Creation Date:||Jul 27, 2006|
|Archive Date:||Nov 19, 2006|
|Total Program Funding:||$7,000,000|
|Maximum Federal Grant Award:||$1,000,000|
|Minimum Federal Grant Award:||$100,000|
|Expected Number of Awards:|
|Cost Sharing or Matching:||No|
- Category Explanation
- Support Democractic governance and reform.
- Applicants Eligible for this Grant
- Unrestricted (i.e., open to any type of entity above), subject to any clarification in text field entitled "Additional Information on Eligibility"
- Additional Information on Eligibility
- Any organization may apply but MEPI encourages pre-applications from partnerships or consortia led by or including local organizations. In this context, NEA defines partnership as a negotiated arrangement among organizations that provides for a substantive, collaborative role for each of the partners in the planning and implementation of the project. Pre-Applications intending to represent a coalition of providers should be prepared to provide, if requested, a signed partnership agreement stating: . An intent to commit or receive resources from the prospective partner(s) contingent upon receipt of funds; . How the partnership arrangement advances the objectives of the project; . Supporting documentation identifying the resources, experience, and expertise of the partner(s); . Evidence that the partner(s) has been involved in the planning of the project; . Clarification of the role of the partner(s) in the implementation of the project, evaluation, and sustainability.
- Link to Full Grant Announcement
- Information not provided
- Grant Announcement Contact
- Jessica Baker
email@example.com Middle East Partnership Initiative
- Similar Government Grants
- • Promoting Sustainable Economic Growth by Supporting Job Creation Efforts and Helping Incre...
- • MEPI Local Grants Annual Program Statement
- • Supporting Participatory Governance in the Western Sahara
- • Increasing Employment in the MENA Region
- • Leaders for Democracy Fellowship (LDF)
- • Support Independent Media
- • Syria Democracy Program Announcement
- • Legal and Business Internship Program
- More Grants from the Middle East Partnership Initiative
- • MEPI Local Grants Annual Program Statement
- • U.S. Embassy Beirut Small Grants Program for Civil Society
- • Supporting Civic Engagement and National Dialogue through Independent Palestinian Media
- • Supporting Entrepreneurship in the MENA Region