2018 Human Exploration Research Opportunities (HERO)
The summary for the 2018 Human Exploration Research Opportunities (HERO) grant is detailed below. This summary states who is eligible for the grant, how much grant money will be awarded, current and past deadlines, Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) numbers, and a sampling of similar government grants. Verify the accuracy of the data FederalGrants.com provides by visiting the webpage noted in the Link to Full Announcement section or by contacting the appropriate person listed as the Grant Announcement Contact. If any section is incomplete, please visit the website for the NASA Johnson Space Center, which is the U.S. government agency offering this grant.
2018 Human Exploration Research Opportunities (HERO): NASA Human Exploration Research Opportunities (HERO) Released A National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Research Announcement (NRA), entitled, “Human Exploration Research Opportunities (HERO)” (80JSC018N0001), has been released. This NRA will solicit applied research in support of NASA's Human Research Program (HRP). This NRA is available through the NASA Research Opportunities homepage at: https://tinyurl.com/NASA-HERO-2018. The research will fall into one or more categories corresponding to HRP's five Elements: Space Radiation, Human Health Countermeasures, Exploration Medical Capability, Human Factors and Behavioral Performance, and International Space Station Medical Projects. This NRA covers all aspects of research to provide human health and performance countermeasures, knowledge, technologies, and tools to enable safe, reliable, and productive human space exploration. Awards generally range from under $100K per year for focused, limited efforts (e.g., data analysis) to $1M per year for extensive activities (e.g., development of scientific hardware) and will be made as grants. The funds available for awards in each research opportunity offered in this NRA range from less than one million to several million dollars. This range allows selection from a few to as many as a dozen proposals depending on the program objectives and the submission of proposals of merit. The period of performance for an award can range from one to five years. All categories of United States (U.S.) institutions are eligible to submit proposals in response to this NRA. Any changes or modifications to any of these guidelines will be specified in the descriptions of the relevant research opportunities in the solicited research response area appendices of this solicitation. Details of the topics will be given in the solicited research response area appendices of the NRA. All appendices will use a two-step solicitation process requiring that a compliant and relevant Step-1 proposal be submitted in order to be considered to be invited to submit a Step-2 proposal. Proposal due dates will be staggered throughout the HERO open period of July 31, 2018 to July 2019. The first proposal due date (for Step-1 proposals submitted in response to Appendices A and B) is September 5, 2018. The electronic submission of each is required by the due date for proposal submission. Proposal due dates are given in the NRA and the solicited research response area appendices, which will be posted at http://nspires.nasaprs.com. Interested proposers should monitor http://nspires.nasaprs.com or register and subscribe to the Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate (HEOMD) electronic notifications system through the NASA Solicitation and Proposal Integrated Review and Evaluation System (NSPIRES) account subscription services. New program elements or amendments to this NRA through July 2019 will be posted in NSPIRES, after which time release of a subsequent HERO NRA is planned. All categories of United States (U.S.) institutions are eligible to submit proposals in response to the NRA. Principal Investigators may collaborate with universities, Federal Government laboratories, the private sector, and state and local government laboratories. In all such arrangements, the applying entity is expected to be responsible for administering the project according to the management approach presented in the proposal. NASA's policy is to conduct research with non-U.S. organizations on a cooperative, no exchange-of-funds basis. Thank you for your continued interest in NASA. Please refer to the solicitation document for contact information.
|Federal Grant Title:||2018 Human Exploration Research Opportunities (HERO)|
|Federal Agency Name:||NASA Johnson Space Center (NASA-JSC)|
|Grant Categories:||Science and Technology|
|Type of Opportunity:||Discretionary|
|Funding Opportunity Number:||80JSC018N0001|
|Type of Funding:||Cooperative Agreement|
|CFDA Descriptions:||Information not provided|
|Current Application Deadline:||September 5th, 2019|
|Original Application Deadline:||September 5th, 2019|
|Posted Date:||August 1st, 2018|
|Creation Date:||August 1st, 2018|
|Archive Date:||October 5th, 2019|
|Total Program Funding:|
|Maximum Federal Grant Award:|
|Minimum Federal Grant Award:|
|Expected Number of Awards:|
|Cost Sharing or Matching:||No|
|Last Updated:||August 1st, 2018|
- Applicants Eligible for this Grant
- Unrestricted (i.e., open to any type of entity below), subject to any clarification in text field entitled "Additional Information on Eligibility"
- Additional Information on Eligibility
- All categories of United States (U.S.) institutions are eligible to submit proposals in response to this NRA (see solicitation and appendices for details). NASA's policy is to conduct research with non-U.S. organizations on a cooperative, no exchange-of-funds basis.
- Link to Full Grant Announcement
- Click on this link to see the full text of the announcement for this opportunity.
- Grant Announcement Contact
- If you have difficulty accessing the full document electronically, please contact:
Jennifer Fogarty, Ph.D.
Chief Scientist, Human Research Program
NASA Johnson Space Center (Mail Code SA2)
Houston, TX 77058
For difficulty accessing the document, click here.
- Similar Government Grants
- • Use of the NASA Physical Sciences Informatics System - Appendix F
- • Human Exploration Research Opportunities (HERO)
- • HERO Appendix B: NASA Human Research Program Omnibus Opportunity
- • HERO Appendix A: NASA Research and Technology Development to Support Crew Health and Perfo...
- • ROSBio-2018 Appendix C: Development of Microgravity Food Production: Plant Watering, Volum...
- • Human Systems Integration Research
- • Research Opportunities in Fundamental Physics
- More Grants from the NASA Johnson Space Center
- • Human Exploration Research Opportunities (HERO)
- • Appendix D: Topics in Human Health Countermeasures, Human Factors, and Behavioral Performa...
- • Appendix C: Countermeasures for Mitigation of Spaceflight Associated Neuro-ocular Syndrome