Grants for Single Mothers

Grants for single mothers may be the only way for you to raise money for college, to pay off outstanding debts, or to raise money to start a new business. This is because saving money, as a single mother, can be one of the most difficult things to do. If you have children, your primary focus is taking care of them and your time is limited. But what about taking care of yourself and meeting your goals?

Raising grant money can primarily be done in one of two ways. First, you can apply for a grant from your federal, state, or local government. These grants are usually issued for educational purposes, but there may be other ways that government grant money can be used. A second way to raise funds is by receiving grant money for single mothers offered by businesses and non-profits. These funds come from private institutions, so the conditions for the use of this money may be less strict than for government grants.

The following is a list of the most popular grants in the United States for single mothers. This is a good starting point for finding grant money.

  1. Pell Grant
    This is a needs-based grant, and is very popular with single mothers that want to earn a college diploma. You are eligible for anywhere between $400 and $5,350. The money needs to be used for educational purposes. You must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to qualify for this grant. If you want other federal educational grants, you have to qualify for this one first.

  2. Academic Competitive Grant (ACG)
    This grant is a merit-based grant. You can only be awarded this grant if you are a first or second-year college student. However, the ACG awards you up to $750 if you're a first-year student and $1,300 if you're a second-year student. Again, you must file a FAFSA in order to qualify for this one.

  3. Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
    This grant is a needs-based grant as well. It is designed especially for students with the greatest financial need. As a single mother, your need for funds may trump ordinary college students since you may be in a worse financial situation than most people. You will receive between $100 and $4,000. hat's a wide range, for sure, but again this grant is needs-based. The more you need, the more you get.

  4. National Science And Mathematics Access to Retain Talent (SMART) Grant
    This grant is merit-based and is designed specifically for you if you're in your 3rd or 4th year of college. You must be pursuing a math, science, or engineering degree. You may also receive this grant if you are pursuing one of the foreign languages designated as crucial for homeland security. You can get up to $4,000 from this program.

Grants for single mothers aren't limited to just the federal government. Some states like New York offer a tuition assistance program (TAP) that gives you up to $5,000 if you live in the state. Kansas offers a similar program as does New Mexico. Check with your state to see what types of programs are available.

Applying for private grants for single mothers is a bit different. You will need to contact the financial aid office at the school you're applying to. They will have a list of businesses and non-profit companies offering education grants. If your employer offers tuition reimbursement, this may also be a way for you to get assistance without applying for federal aid. You will have to contact your human resources department for details. Some companies will offer assistance if you agree to pursue courses related to your company's industry or if you're getting an education to improve your skills used at the company.

Below you will find a listing of the government grants for both mothers and children. You can also search the database yourself for more grants from the federal government. is not endorsed by, or affiliated with, any government agency. Copyright ©2007-2022