Distance Education Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas (DEG)
The summary for the Distance Education Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas (DEG) grant is detailed below. This summary states who is eligible for the grant, how much grant money will be awarded, current and past deadlines, Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) numbers, and a sampling of similar government grants. Verify the accuracy of the data FederalGrants.com provides by visiting the webpage noted in the Link to Full Announcement section or by contacting the appropriate person listed as the Grant Announcement Contact. If any section is incomplete, please visit the website for the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, which is the U.S. government agency offering this grant.
Distance Education Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas (DEG): The purpose of this program is strengthen the capacity of Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas to carry out resident instruction, curriculum, and teaching programs in the food and agricultural sciences through distance education technology. The Distance Education Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas (DEG) is a NIFA-administered competitive grants program focused on improving formal, postsecondary agricultural sciences education.
|Federal Grant Title:||Distance Education Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas (DEG)|
|Federal Agency Name:||National Institute of Food and Agriculture (USDA-NIFA)|
|Type of Opportunity:||Discretionary|
|Funding Opportunity Number:||USDA-NIFA-RIGP-006870|
|Type of Funding:||Grant|
|CFDA Descriptions:||Information not provided|
|Current Application Deadline:||January 23rd, 2020|
|Original Application Deadline:||January 23rd, 2020|
|Posted Date:||August 29th, 2019|
|Creation Date:||August 29th, 2019|
|Archive Date:||February 22nd, 2020|
|Total Program Funding:||$800,000|
|Maximum Federal Grant Award:||$150,000|
|Minimum Federal Grant Award:||$0|
|Expected Number of Awards:||6|
|Cost Sharing or Matching:||No|
|Last Updated:||August 30th, 2019|
- Applicants Eligible for this Grant
- Others (see text field entitled "Additional Information on Eligibility" for clarification.)
- Additional Information on Eligibility
- Applicants for the DEG Program must meet all the requirements discussed in this RFA. Failure to meet the eligibility criteria by the application deadline may result in exclusion from consideration or, preclude NIFA from making an award. For those new to Federal financial assistance, NIFA's Grants Overview provides highly recommended information about grants and other resources to help understand the Federal awards process. Institutions receiving a grant under this program are eligible to receive DEG grants in subsequent years. Receiving a grant under any other authority does not affect eligibility for this DEG grants program. Each faculty recipient of support for developmental activities must be an “eligible participant” please refer to: 7 CFR 3430, Competitive and Noncompetitive Non-formula Financial Assistance Programs--General Award Administrative Provisions, for applicable definitions for this NIFA grant program. Individual Institutions. For the purposes of the DEG grant program, an eligible institution is an institution of higher education, as defined in section 101(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1995 (20 U.S.C. 1001(a)), that is located in an insular area and that has a demonstrable capacity to carry out teaching and extension programs in the food, agriculture, natural resources, and human sciences. All public or non-profit 2-year and 4-year accredited institutions of higher education that offer certificate/degree programs in FANH sciences are eligible. Individual land-grant colleges and universities, and other institutions that have secured land-grant status through Federal legislation, and which are located in insular areas are automatically eligible for awards under the DEG grant program as direct individual applicants. The eight insular areas are as follows: 1. American Samoa; 2. The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands; 3. The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico; 4. The Federated States of Micronesia; 5. Guam; 6. The Republic of the Marshall Islands; 7. The Republic of Palau; and 8. The Virgin Islands of the United States. Branch Institutions of a State System. Individual branches of a state university system or public system of higher education that are separately accredited as degree-granting institutions are treated as separate, individual institutions eligible to apply for and receive awards, provided they otherwise satisfy the definition of “eligible institution” as specified above. Independent Branch Campuses. Independent branch campuses of individual institutions may apply for and receive grant awards under this program, if they satisfy the definition of “eligible institution” as specified above. An “independent branch campus” is a unit of a 2-year or 4-year institution of higher education that is geographically apart from the main campus, is permanent in nature, offers courses for credit and programs leading to an associate or bachelor's degree, and is autonomous to the extent that it has its own faculty and administrative or supervisory organization and its own budgetary and hiring authority. Certification of Eligibility. At the time of application, each primary applicant will be required to demonstrate or certify that it is an eligible institution as defined by this RFA. A non-land-grant institution must submit a letter signed by the institution's Authorized Representative (AR) certifying that it meets the requirements of an “eligible institution” as defined herein. The AR must also certify that the institution, or parent institution in the case of an independent branch campus. SPECIAL NOTE: See RFA for further details.
- Link to Full Grant Announcement
- FYs 2020 & 2021 DEG RFA
- Grant Announcement Contact
- NIFA Help Desk
Business hours are M-F, 7:00 am -5:00 pm ET, excluding Federal holidays
If you have any questions related to preparing application content.
- Similar Government Grants
- • Distance Education Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas (D...
- • Distance Education Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas
- • Distance Education Grants (DEG) Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Ar...
- • Distance Education Grants (DEG) for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas
- • Distance Education Grants for Insular Areas (DEG)
- More Grants from the National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- • Higher Education Challenge (HEC) Grants Program
- • Hispanic-Serving Institutions - Education Grants Program
- • Scholarships for Students at 1890 Institutions Program (1890 Scholarships) RFA
- • Specialty Crop Research Initiative Pre-Applications
- • FY 20 and FY21 SBIR Phase I RFA