Early Care and Education Research Scholars: Head Start Dissertation Grants
The summary for the Early Care and Education Research Scholars: Head Start Dissertation Grants grant is detailed below. This summary states who is eligible for the grant, how much grant money will be awarded, current and past deadlines, Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) numbers, and a sampling of similar government grants. Verify the accuracy of the data FederalGrants.com provides by visiting the webpage noted in the Link to Full Announcement section or by contacting the appropriate person listed as the Grant Announcement Contact. If any section is incomplete, please visit the website for the Administration for Children and Families OPRE, which is the U.S. government agency offering this grant.
Early Care and Education Research Scholars: Head Start Dissertation Grants: The Office of Planning, Research, and Evaluation (OPRE) of the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) plans to solicit applications for Early Care and Education Research Scholars: Head Start Dissertation Grants. Funds support dissertation research by advanced graduate students working in partnership with Head Start programs and with faculty mentors. These grants focus on building capacity in the research field by: (1) addressing questions relevant to early childhood programs that serve children and families with low-income, (2) supporting applied experience with collaboration with participating program partners, and (3) fostering mentoring relationships between faculty members and doctoral students. OPRE is interested in research that directly informs local, state, or federal policies and is relevant to multiple early care and education settings. Applicants must demonstrate an established partnership with their Head Start program partner(s) (and other early care and education program partners if applicable) that should be apparent throughout the research plan, from development and refinement of the research questions through the proposed data collection or secondary analyses of data, interpretation, and dissemination of findings. Eligible Tribally Controlled Land Grant Colleges and Universities, Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Hispanic Serving Institutions, and faith-based institutions of higher education are encouraged to apply. The applicant organization must have a history of research and federal funding oversight and must have appropriate research support resources to support the student. The faculty mentor who will serve as principal investigator must have a Ph.D. or equivalent in the respective field and conduct research as a primary professional responsibility. Faculty mentors with doctoral training and research expertise must be able to provide proper supervision and quality control over the project and interactions with participating programs to help ensure successful completion of sound dissertation research that addresses critical questions of interest to program(s) and ACF. To be eligible for award, the graduate student must provide evidence of an approved dissertation proposal with their application. This is a change from previous years when applicants were given additional time to submit evidence of an approved dissertation proposal after the application due date. The 2023 application due date and the due date for the evidence of an approved dissertation proposal are the same and will be specified in the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO). For further information about previous Head Start Graduate Student Research Grant recipients, please refer to http://www.acf.hhs.gov/opre/research/project/head-start-graduate-student-research-program. For more information about OPRE, see http://www.acf.hhs.gov/opre. For information about the Office of Head Start and Head Start programs, see https://www.acf.hhs.gov/ohs . Please subscribe to this forecast at grants.gov to receive notifications of any updates. SAM.gov System Alert - Entity Validation Delays: All applicants must be registered at SAM.gov and establish a Unique Entity Identifier. Due to high demand, SAM.gov is experiencing a considerable delay in processing entity legal business name and address validation tickets. As needed, please start the process early to avoid interruptions in application submissions. You can find SAM resources related to this process here - https://www.fsd.gov/gsafsd_sp?id=kb_article_view&sysparm_article=KB0058422&sys_kb_id=7bb8810ddba05990060d5425f3961912&spa=1.
|Federal Grant Title:
|Early Care and Education Research Scholars: Head Start Dissertation Grants
|Federal Agency Name:
|Administration for Children and Families OPRE (HHS-ACF-OPRE)
|Income Security and Social Services
|Type of Opportunity:
|Funding Opportunity Number:
|Type of Funding:
|Information not provided
|Current Application Deadline:
|May 18th, 2023
|Original Application Deadline:
|May 18th, 2023
|March 16th, 2023
|March 16th, 2023
|June 26th, 2023
|Total Program Funding:
|Maximum Federal Grant Award:
|Minimum Federal Grant Award:
|Expected Number of Awards:
|Cost Sharing or Matching:
|March 16th, 2023
- Applicants Eligible for this Grant
- State governments - County governments - City or township governments - Special district governments - Independent school districts - Public and State controlled institutions of higher education - Native American tribal governments (Federally recognized) - Public housing authorities/Indian housing authorities - Native American tribal organizations (other than Federally recognized tribal governments) - Nonprofits having a 501 (c) (3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education - Nonprofits that do not have a 501 (c) (3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education - Private institutions of higher education - For-profit organizations other than small businesses - Small businesses - Others (see text field entitled "Additional Information on Eligibility" for clarification.)
- Additional Information on Eligibility
- Applicant eligibility is unrestricted except as noted in this section. Applications from individuals (including sole proprietorships) and foreign entities are not eligible and will be disqualified from competitive review and funding under this funding opportunity. Faith-based and community organizations that meet the eligibility requirements are eligible to receive awards under this funding opportunity. Faith-based organizations may apply for this award on the same basis as any other organization, as set forth at and, subject to the protections and requirements of 45 CFR Part 87 and 42 U.S.C. 2000bb et seq., ACF will not, in the selection of recipients, discriminate against an organization on the basis of the organization's religious character, affiliation, or exercise.
- Grant Announcement Contact
- Wendy DeCourcey
- Similar Government Grants
- • Head Start/Early Head Start Recipient -- Communities in the state of Georgia
- • Head Start/Early Head Start Recipient -- Communities in the state of Massachusetts
- • Head Start/Early Head Start Recipient -- Communities in the state of Illinois
- • Head Start/Early Head Start Recipient -- Communities in the state of Indiana
- • Early Head Start Expansion and Early Head Start-Child Care Partnership Grants - Communitie...
- • Head Start University Partnership Research Grants: Strategies for Developing Teacher Effec...
- • Head Start Replacement Grantee(s): Craighead, Crittenden, Cross, Greene, Jackson, Lee, Poi...
- • Head Start Graduate Student Research Grants
- More Grants from the Administration for Children and Families OPRE
- • Prevention Services Evaluation Partnerships: Building Evidence for Mental Health, Substanc...
- • Behavioral Interventions Scholars
- • Center for Research on Hispanic Children and Families
- • Career Pathways Secondary Data Analysis Grants
- • Coordinated Evaluations of Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF) Policies and Initiatives...