Financial Assistance to Establish five NOAA Cooperative Science Centers at Minority Serving Institutions
The summary for the Financial Assistance to Establish five NOAA Cooperative Science Centers at Minority Serving Institutions grant is detailed below. This summary states who is eligible for the grant, how much grant money will be awarded, current and past deadlines, Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) numbers, and a sampling of similar government grants. Verify the accuracy of the data FederalGrants.com provides by visiting the webpage noted in the Link to Full Announcement section or by contacting the appropriate person listed as the Grant Announcement Contact. If any section is incomplete, please visit the website for the Department of Commerce, which is the U.S. government agency offering this grant.
Financial Assistance to Establish five NOAA Cooperative Science Centers at Minority Serving Institutions: NOAA's Office of Education (OEd), Educational Partnership Program (EPP) with Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) solicits applications from accredited postsecondary MSIs to establish five NOAA Cooperative Science Centers (CSCs). These five CSCs are designed to create collaborative partnerships among MSIs and NOAA's Line Offices. NOAA's mission as stated in the FY2009-2014 NOAA Strategic Plan, is ``[t]o understand and predict changes in Earth's environment and conserve and manage coastal and marine resources to meet our nation's economic, social, and environmental needs.'' The Uniform Resource Locator for NOAA Strategic Planning is http:// www.ppi.noaa.gov/strategic_planning.html. Additional information about NOAA may be found on the Web site: http://www.noaa.gov. Each NOAA Cooperative Science Center must conduct education and research that directly supports NOAA's mission. The purpose of these CSCs at MSIs is to: (1) Educate students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields related to the CSCs' research areas to increase the number and diversity of NOAA's and the nation's STEM workforce; (2) conduct research in collaboration with NOAA scientists and engineers to better understand the significance of changes in the Earth's oceans, coasts, Great Lakes, weather and climate; and, (3) build capacity and sustainability in NOAA-relevant STEM areas at all center institutions. The CSCs are to leverage existing education and research program capabilities to train and graduate students in NOAA- mission STEM fields including broader disciplines (e.g., economics and social sciences). The CSCs are to build sustainable capacity, maintaining newly established curricula, as well as upgraded research facilities that will enhance their ability to conduct NOAA education and research that contributes to a pipeline of students trained in STEM fields. The EPP is designed to enhance capacity at MSIs that educate, train, and graduate students in STEM fields and to increase environmental literacy by establishing partnerships with academia, the private sector, and other state, tribal and local agencies. Additional program details may be found on the Web site: http://www.epp.noaa.gov. Interested applicants should be responsive to both the notice in the Federal Register and the Federal Funding Opportunity (FFO) announcement. A PDF version of both the Federal Register Notice and the FFO are available at http://www.epp.noaa.gov/.
|Federal Grant Title:||Financial Assistance to Establish five NOAA Cooperative Science Centers at Minority Serving Institutions|
|Federal Agency Name:||Department of Commerce|
|Grant Categories:||Education Environment Natural Resources Science and Technology|
|Type of Opportunity:||Discretionary|
|Funding Opportunity Number:||NOAA-SEC-OED-2011-2002684|
|Type of Funding:||Cooperative Agreement Grant|
|CFDA Descriptions:||Educational Partnership Program|
|Current Application Deadline:||Nov 15, 2010|
|Original Application Deadline:||Nov 15, 2010|
|Posted Date:||Jul 20, 2010|
|Creation Date:||Jul 20, 2010|
|Archive Date:||Dec 15, 2010|
|Total Program Funding:||$15,000,000|
|Maximum Federal Grant Award:||$3,000,000|
|Minimum Federal Grant Award:|
|Expected Number of Awards:||5|
|Cost Sharing or Matching:||No|
- Applicants Eligible for this Grant
- Others (see text field entitled "Additional Information on Eligibility" for clarification)
- Additional Information on Eligibility
- For the purpose of this program Minority Serving Institutions: Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Hispanic- Serving Institutions, Indian Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities, Alaska Native-Serving Institutions, and Native Hawaiian- Serving Institutions, as identified on the 2007 United States Department of Education, Accredited Postsecondary Minority Institution list (http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/edlite-minorityinst.html and http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/edlite-minorityinst-list- tab.html) are eligible to apply. A proposed center's principal academic institution must be an accredited MSI with a PhD degree-granting program in a STEM field that supports NOAA's mission. Applications will not be accepted from non-profit organizations (except organizations that are classified as Institutions of Higher Education), foundations (except foundations that represent Institutions of Higher Education), auxiliary services or any other entity submitted on behalf of MSIs. Private and/or public sector and community college partnerships are encouraged. Partnerships with community colleges may be considered as a mechanism to build the undergraduate pipeline of four-year academic institutions. A Cooperative Science Center may partner with one or more institutions that have demonstrated education and research performance in NOAA-related sciences. While the center will be established at an MSI, consortia with non-minority serving institutions partners will not be restricted. If a cooperative agreement is awarded to a consortium of institutions, the consortium must propose a governance structure that includes a single director and one award. Where multi-institutional applications between majority and MSIs are submitted, no less than eighty percent (80%) of the total funds shall be awarded to the MSI(s). The MSI lead cannot issue sub-awards for more than twenty percent (20%) of the total project costs to majority institutions.
- Link to Full Grant Announcement
- Information not provided
- Grant Announcement Contact
- Steve Drescher Policy Advisor
For application download issues only [firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Similar Government Grants
- • Financial Assistance to Establish Four NOAA Cooperative Science Centers at Minority Servin...
- • Nancy Foster Scholarship Program
- • Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program
- • Financial Assistance To Establish five NOAA Cooperative Science Centers at Minority Servin...
- • Administrative Services for the Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship Program
- • Environmental Literacy Grants: Science On a Sphere Network Capacity Building
- More Grants from the Department of Commerce
- • FY 2020 SPRINT Challenge
- • FY2021 to FY2023 NOAA Broad Agency Announcement (BAA)
- • FY21 Regional Ecosystem Research Program: Understanding Species’ Habitat Usage and C...
- • FY2021 Marine Debris Research
- • CZM Projects of Special Merit Competition - FY 2021