Upward Bound Math and Science Program
The summary for the Upward Bound Math and Science Program grant is detailed below. This summary states who is eligible for the grant, how much grant money will be awarded, current and past deadlines, Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) numbers, and a sampling of similar government grants. Verify the accuracy of the data FederalGrants.com provides by visiting the webpage noted in the Link to Full Announcement section or by contacting the appropriate person listed as the Grant Announcement Contact. If any section is incomplete, please visit the website for the Office of the Chief Financial Officer, which is the U.S. government agency offering this grant.
Upward Bound Math and Science Program: The Upward Bound Math and Science Program is designed to prepare high school students for postsecondary education programs that lead to careers in the fields of math and science. We are particularly interested in applications that meet the following priority. Applications that propose projects that will serve higher risk students. The Administration is committed to making changes in programs that will improve their effectiveness. The ongoing evaluation of the Upward Bound program indicates that increasing the participation of higher risk students would increase its overall effectiveness. The evaluation has found that the majority of students served by the program are not higher risk students even though the program has a large impact on these students. Examples of higher risk students include, but are not limited to, (a) students with grade point averages in the C or D range as high school freshmen, (b) students with relatively few credits in the core academic subjects of English, math, science, social studies and foreign language, or (c) students who have the potential but do not plan to pursue a postsecondary education. Applicants should include their definitions of higher risk students and describe strategies for targeting services to higher risk students when addressing the selection criteria, particularly the need for the project, the objectives, the plan of operation and the budget. Under 34 CFR 75.105(c)(1), we do not give an application that meets the invitational priority a competitive or absolute preference over other applications in making grant award decisions. Applicants should be advised, however, that the Secretary intends to conduct a negotiated rulemaking process pursuant to Section 492 of the Higher Education Act with the intent of strengthening the 'need for academic support' criteria used by grantees to select program participants to further focus the Upward Bound Program on serving higher risk students. This process, which will begin later this year, will be announced formally through a separate notice in the Federal Register. Applicants should be advised that regulatory changes negotiated through this process would apply to all projects funded in this competition.
|Federal Grant Title:||Upward Bound Math and Science Program|
|Federal Agency Name:||Office of the Chief Financial Officer|
|Grant Categories:||Science and Technology Education|
|Type of Opportunity:||Discretionary|
|Funding Opportunity Number:||ED-GRANTS-092402-004|
|Type of Funding:||Grant|
|CFDA Descriptions:||TRIO_Upward Bound|
|Current Application Deadline:||No deadline provided|
|Original Application Deadline:||Nov 22, 2002 This is a pilot program and this inf|
|Posted Date:||Sep 24, 2002|
|Creation Date:||Dec 22, 2002|
|Archive Date:||Dec 22, 2002|
|Total Program Funding:|
|Maximum Federal Grant Award:|
|Minimum Federal Grant Award:|
|Expected Number of Awards:|
|Cost Sharing or Matching:||No|
- Applicants Eligible for this Grant
- State governments County governments City or township governments Special district governments Independent school districts Public and State controlled institutions of higher education Nonprofits having a 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education Private institutions of higher education
- Link to Full Grant Announcement
- Information not provided
- Grant Announcement Contact
- Cotton, Julius, Management Analyst, Phone 202-708-8562, Fax 202-205-0667
- Similar Government Grants
- • Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE): Veterans Upward bound Program CFDA Number 84.047V
- • Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE): Upward Bound Math and Science Program CFDA Number...
- • Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE): Upward Bound Program CFDA Number 84.047A
- • Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE): Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) Program CFDA Number 8...
- • Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE): Federal TRIO Programs: Upward Bound Math and Scie...
- • Upward Bound Program Participant Expansion Initiative
- • Upward Bound Program (84.047A) Regular Upward Bound Program
- • Upward Bound Math and Science (UBMS) Program (84.047M)
- More Grants from the Office of the Chief Financial Officer
- • Field-Initiated (FI) Projects (84.133G) and Advanced Rehabilitation Research Training (ARR...
- • Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN) Program
- • Rehabilitation Training: Rehabilitation Long-Term Training
- • Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement (McNair) Program
- • Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad Program