(FY20) Defense Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (DEPSCoR)
The summary for the (FY20) Defense Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (DEPSCoR) grant is detailed below. This summary states who is eligible for the grant, how much grant money will be awarded, current and past deadlines, Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) numbers, and a sampling of similar government grants. Verify the accuracy of the data FederalGrants.com provides by visiting the webpage noted in the Link to Full Announcement section or by contacting the appropriate person listed as the Grant Announcement Contact. If any section is incomplete, please visit the website for the Air Force Office of Scientific Research, which is the U.S. government agency offering this grant.
(FY20) Defense Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (DEPSCoR): The Department of Defense (DoD) announces the fiscal year 2020 (FY20) Defense Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (DEPSCoR). The program is sponsored and managed by the Basic Research Office, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering (OUSD [R&E]), awarded by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR), and administered through the Office of Naval Research (ONR). The DoD plans to award FY20 DEPSCoR appropriations through this announcement.The aim of DEPSCoR is to improve the research capabilities at institutions of higher education (IHE) in eligible States/Territories to perform competitive basic research in science and engineering that is relevant to the DoD mission and reflect national security priorities. The Basic Research Office anticipates approximately $7.2 million in total funding will be made available for this program to fund approximately twelve (12) awards up to $600,000 (total cost) each. Each award will be funded up to $200,000 (total cost) per year for three (3) years in the form of a grant. The FY20 DEPSCoR competition seeks proposals addressing the following topic areas as detailed in the full announcement in the Related Documents folder:Cognitive and Computational NeurosciencesSpace ScienceAgile Science of Test and EvaluationMaterials with Extreme PropertiesPropulsion and EnergeticsComputational Architectures and VisualizationOptoelectronicsProbability and StatisticsMolecular Structure and DynamicsSocial and Behavioral ScienceBiotronicsAerospace Structures and MaterialsOcean AcousticsMachine Learning, Reasoning, and IntelligencePower Electronics & Electromagnetism, Adaptive & Machinery Controls and Advanced Machinery Systems
|Federal Grant Title:||(FY20) Defense Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (DEPSCoR)|
|Federal Agency Name:||Air Force Office of Scientific Research (DOD-AFOSR)|
|Grant Categories:||Science and Technology and other Research and Development|
|Type of Opportunity:||Discretionary|
|Funding Opportunity Number:||FOA-AFRL-AFOSR-2020-0004|
|Type of Funding:||Grant|
|CFDA Descriptions:||Information not provided|
|Current Application Deadline:||February 15th, 2021|
|Original Application Deadline:||February 15th, 2021|
|Posted Date:||May 5th, 2020|
|Creation Date:||May 5th, 2020|
|Archive Date:||March 17th, 2021|
|Total Program Funding:||$7,200,000|
|Maximum Federal Grant Award:||$600,000|
|Minimum Federal Grant Award:||$200,000|
|Expected Number of Awards:||12|
|Cost Sharing or Matching:||No|
|Last Updated:||July 30th, 2020|
- Applicants Eligible for this Grant
- Others (see text field entitled "Additional Information on Eligibility" for clarification.)
- Additional Information on Eligibility
- This funding opportunity aims to create basic research collaborations between a pair of researchers, namely 1) Applicant/Principal Investigator (PI), henceforth referred to as Applicant, a full-time faculty member who has never served as a PI on a prior DoD-funded award and 2) Collaborator/co-Principal Investigator (co-PI), henceforth referred to as Collaborator, an investigator who will provide mentorship to the Applicant and has served as a PI on a DoD-funded research award actively between 1 October 2013 and 30 September 2020. This structure is aimed at introducing potential applicants to the DoD’s unique research challenges and its supportive research ecosystem. The website https://discover.dtic.mil/products-services/ is a non-comprehensive repository of government-funded scientific, technical, and engineering information for the DoD. Researchers new to DoD and Applicants are encouraged to visit the site as a starting point for identifying past and present DoD-funded researchers. While each member of the collaboration should be in a tenure-track appointment or tenured at IHE in DEPSCoR-eligible States/Territories, you do not need to be in the same state. Likewise, the Applicant and Collaborator can have appointments at the same IHE. Though this is a collaboration between the Applicant and Collaborator, the Applicant’s IHE will submit the proposal. The Applicant and Collaborator are eligible to apply to this announcement if both IHE are located in an eligible State/Territory. States/Territories are deemed eligible to submit proposals for DEPSCoR research grants based on meeting both of the following criteria: 1. Falls into a specific range of DoD R&D S&E funding to IHE in that State/Territory as defined in legislation -- AND -- 2. Contains an advanced degree granting program in science, mathematics, and/or engineering. IHE in the following 37 States/Territories are eligible to receive awards under this announcement: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, U.S. Virgin Islands, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
- Link to Full Grant Announcement
- OUSD Basic Research Directorate FY20 DEPSCoR Pilot
- Grant Announcement Contact
- Elaina L Barker
If you have difficulty accessing the full announcement electronically, contact the Grants Officer.
- Similar Government Grants
- • VISION AIDED NAVIGATION PROTOTYPES
- • Low-Cost Chip-Scale Atomic Clock (LC CSAC)
- • Department of Defense (DoD) – Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STE...
- • UNITED STATES MILITARY ACADEMY Broad Agency Announcement
- • Multidisciplinary Research Program of the University Research Initiative (FY21 ARMY SUBMIS...
- • Braod Agency Announcement for the Army Research Laboratory
- • TARDEC FY04 Broad Agency Announcement (BAA)
- • Fiscal Year 2004 Department of Defense Instrumentation Program for Tribal Colleges and Uni...
- More Grants from the Air Force Office of Scientific Research
- • Air Force Fiscal Year 2021 Young Investigator Research Program (YIP)
- • Multidisciplinary Research Program of the University Research Initiative (FY21 Air Force S...
- • Fiscal Year 2021 Defense University Research Instrumentation Program (DURIP)
- • Defense Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (DEPSCoR)
- • Military Medical Photonics Program