Food and Agricultural Sciences National Needs Graduate and Postgraduate Fellowship
The summary for the Food and Agricultural Sciences National Needs Graduate and Postgraduate Fellowship grant is detailed below. This summary states who is eligible for the grant, how much grant money will be awarded, current and past deadlines, Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) numbers, and a sampling of similar government grants. Verify the accuracy of the data FederalGrants.com provides by visiting the webpage noted in the Link to Full Announcement section or by contacting the appropriate person listed as the Grant Announcement Contact. If any section is incomplete, please visit the website for the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, which is the U.S. government agency offering this grant.
Food and Agricultural Sciences National Needs Graduate and Postgraduate Fellowship: Awards are specifically intended to support traineeship programs that engage outstanding students to pursue and complete their degrees in USDA mission areas. Applicants provide clarity about the philosophy of their graduate training, and relevance to USDA mission sciences, NIFA priorities and national science education policies and statistics. Applications are being solicited from institutions that confer a graduate degree in at least one of the following Targeted Expertise Shortage Areas: 1) animal and plant production; 2) forest resources; 3) agricultural educators and communicators; 4) agricultural management and economics; 5) food science and human nutrition; 6) sciences for agricultural biosecurity; and 7) training in integrative biosciences for sustainable food and agricultural systems.
|Federal Grant Title:||Food and Agricultural Sciences National Needs Graduate and Postgraduate Fellowship|
|Federal Agency Name:||National Institute of Food and Agriculture (USDA-NIFA)|
|Type of Opportunity:||Discretionary|
|Funding Opportunity Number:||USDA-NIFA-HEP-009754|
|Type of Funding:||Grant|
|CFDA Descriptions:||Information not provided|
|Current Application Deadline:||June 8th, 2023|
|Original Application Deadline:||June 8th, 2023|
|Posted Date:||April 5th, 2023|
|Creation Date:||April 5th, 2023|
|Archive Date:||July 8th, 2023|
|Total Program Funding:||$3,100,000|
|Maximum Federal Grant Award:||$262,500|
|Minimum Federal Grant Award:||$0|
|Expected Number of Awards:|
|Cost Sharing or Matching:||No|
|Last Updated:||April 5th, 2023|
- Applicants Eligible for this Grant
- Others (see text field entitled "Additional Information on Eligibility" for clarification.)
- Additional Information on Eligibility
- Eligibility Requirements Only the following are eligible to apply: Land-grant institutions, colleges and universities having significant minority enrollments and a demonstrable capacity to carry out the teaching of food and agricultural sciences; and other colleges and universities having a demonstrable capacity to carry out the teaching of food, and agricultural sciences. Research foundations maintained by an eligible college or university are eligible to submit graduate training proposals under this RFA. Award recipients may subcontract to organizations not eligible to apply provided such organizations are necessary for the conduct of the project. Failure to meet an eligibility criterion by the application deadline may result in the application being excluded from consideration or, even though an application may be reviewed, will preclude NIFA from making an award. Applicants should be institutions that confer a graduate degree in at least one of the TESAs listed in Part I of this RFA. Awards are made to eligible colleges and universities. Individuals are not eligible to apply for these grants to support their graduate education. Successful applications must select and identify Fellows and award Fellowships within eighteen (18) months of the start date of a grant. Post-doctoral Fellowships will not be awarded under this grant announcement. 1. Institutions that fail to meet this deadline will be required to refund monies associated with unawarded Fellowships to NIFA. 2. Graduate fellowship appointments must be awarded only to registered students who are pursuing full-time study in graduate programs in the TESA and at the degree level supported by the grant. 3. Applicants may not request partial fellowships. A USDA Fellow at the master's degree level who maintains satisfactory progress is eligible to receive grant support for a maximum of twenty-four (24) months during a thirty (30) month period. A USDA Fellow at the doctoral degree level who maintains satisfactory progress is eligible to receive grant support for a maximum of thirty-six (36) months within a forty-two (42) month period. It is the intent of this program that Graduate Fellows pursue full-time uninterrupted study or thesis/dissertation research, including time spent pursuing USDA-funded special international study or thesis/dissertation research activities. Graduate Fellows in academic institutions are not entitled to regular annual leave but are entitled to the normal student holidays observed by the institution. The time between academic semesters or quarters is to be utilized as an active part of the grant period. During the period of support, USDA Graduate Fellows, at the discretion of their institutions, may accept additional supplemental employment that would positively contribute to their training or research and would make them eligible for tuition waivers (e.g., full, or partial tuition waivers with research or teaching assignments). A Graduate Fellow who finds it necessary to interrupt his/her program of study because of health, personal, or other reasonable non-academic and non-disciplinary cause(s) must be allowed to resume funded study at any time within 6 months of the interruption, provided there is adequate time remaining before the award expires (i.e., within the 30-month total funding period for a master's Fellow, and 42-month total funding period for a Doctoral Fellow). A Graduate Fellow who finds it necessary to interrupt his/her program of study more than one time cannot exceed 6 total months of cumulative leave without forfeiting NNF eligibility. Failure to meet an eligibility criterion by the application deadline may result in the application being excluded from consideration or, even though an application may be reviewed, will preclude NIFA from making an award.
- Link to Full Grant Announcement
- Food and Agricultural Sciences National Needs Graduate and Postgraduate Fellowship
- Grant Announcement Contact
- NIFA Support
Key Information: Business hours: Monday thru Friday, 7a.m. – 5p.m. ET, except federal holidays
If you have any questions related to preparing application content.
- Similar Government Grants
- • Food and Agricultural Sciences National Needs Graduate and Postgraduate Fellowship (NNF)
- • Food and Agricultural Sciences National Needs Graduate and Postgraduate Fellowship (NNF) G...
- • National Needs Graduate Fellowships Grants Program
- • National Needs Graduate Fellowships Program
- More Grants from the National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- • Open Data Framework
- • Food and Agricultural Education Information System
- • New Beginning for Tribal Students Program
- • Alfalfa Seed and Alfalfa Forage Systems
- • Special Research Grants Program Potato Research