The summary for the Opportunity RFA-FD-10-003 grant is detailed below. This summary states who is eligible for the grant, how much grant money will be awarded, current and past deadlines, Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) numbers, and a sampling of similar government grants. Verify the accuracy of the data FederalGrants.com provides by visiting the webpage noted in the Link to Full Announcement section or by contacting the appropriate person listed as the Grant Announcement Contact. If any section is incomplete, please visit the website for the Food and Drug Administration, which is the U.S. government agency offering this grant.
Opportunity RFA-FD-10-003: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA), Division of Federal-State Relations (DFSR), is announcing the availability of cooperative agreements for personnel, supplies, miscellaneous equipment, and training to Food Emergency Response Laboratory Network (FERN) chemistry laboratories of State, local, and tribal governments. The cooperative agreements are to enable the analyses of foods and food products in the event that redundancy and/or additional laboratory surge capacity is needed by FERN for analyses related to chemical terrorism and/or other adulteration. These grants are also intended to expand participation in networks to enhance Federal, State, local, and tribal food safety and security efforts.The goal of ORA's cooperative agreement program is to complement, develop, and improve State, local, and Indian tribal food safety and security testing programs. With cooperative agreement grant funds this will be accomplished through the provision of supplies, personnel, miscellaneous equipment, training in current food testing methodologies, participation in proficiency testing to establish additional reliable laboratory sample analysis capacity, participation in method enhancement activities to extend analysis capability, and analysis of surveillance samples. In addition, laboratories will be encouraged to obtain laboratory accreditation through an international recognized accrediting body. To this aim, successful applicants will undergo a quality management system assessment to be provided by FDA, Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA), Division of Field Science (DFS). In the event of a large-scale chemical terrorism or other adulteration event affecting foods or food products, the recipient may be required to perform selected chemical analyses of domestic and imported food samples collected and supplied to the laboratory by FDA or other government agencies through FDA. These samples may consist of, but are not limited to, the following: Vegetables and fruits (fresh and packaged); juices (concentrate and diluted); grains and grain products; seafood and other fish products; milk and other dairy products; infant formula; baby foods; bottled water; condiments; and alcoholic products (beer, wine, scotch).All grant application projects that are developed at State, local, and tribal levels must have national implications or application that can enhance Federal food safety and security programs. There are four key project areas identified for this effort that must be addressed:(1) The use of Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS) analysis for the screening and identification of poisons, toxic substances, and unknown compounds in foods;(2) The use of Liquid Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (LC/MS) analysis for the screening and identification of poisons, toxic substances, and unknown compounds in foods;(3) The use of Inductively Coupled Plasma/Mass Spectrometry (ICP/MS) analysis for the screening and identification of heavy metals and toxic elements in foods; and,(4) The use of Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) and other antibody-based analyses for the screening and identification of unknown toxins in foods.FDA will support the projects covered by this notice under the authority of section 312 of the Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002 (the Bioterrorism Act) (Public Law 107-188). This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance under number 93.448.
|Federal Grant Title:||Opportunity RFA-FD-10-003|
|Federal Agency Name:||Food and Drug Administration|
|Grant Categories:||Agriculture Business and Commerce Community Development Consumer Protection Employment Labor and Training Environment Food and Nutrition Health Natural Resources Regional Development Science and Technology|
|Type of Opportunity:||Discretionary|
|Funding Opportunity Number:||RFA-FD-10-003|
|Type of Funding:||Cooperative Agreement|
|CFDA Descriptions:||Food Safety and Security Monitoring Project|
|Current Application Deadline:||Jun 11, 2011|
|Original Application Deadline:||Jun 11, 2011|
|Posted Date:||Apr 22, 2010|
|Creation Date:||Apr 22, 2010|
|Archive Date:||No date given|
|Total Program Funding:||$4,400,000|
|Maximum Federal Grant Award:||$400,000|
|Minimum Federal Grant Award:||$0|
|Expected Number of Awards:||11|
|Cost Sharing or Matching:||No|
- Applicants Eligible for this Grant
- State governments - Others (see text field entitled "Additional Information on Eligibility" for clarification)
- Additional Information on Eligibility
- This cooperative agreement program is only available to State, local, and tribal government FERN laboratories and is authorized by section 312 of the Bioterrorism Act. All grant application projects that are developed at State, local, and tribal levels must have national implications or application that can enhance Federal food safety and security programs. Only FERN Chemical labs that are currently receiving funding under this cooperative agreement program may apply for these competing continuation awards. Eligible Individuals Any individual(s) with the skills, knowledge, and resources necessary to carry out the proposed research as the PD/PI is invited to work with his/her organization to develop an application for support. Individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups as well as individuals with disabilities are always encouraged to apply for FDA support.
- Link to Full Grant Announcement
- Information not provided
- Grant Announcement Contact
- Martin Bernard Contract Specialist 301-443-5869
- Similar Government Grants
- • FDA FERN Microbiological Cooperative Agreement Continuation Program (U18)
- • Opportunity RFA-FD-10-004
- • Food Safety and Security Monitoring Project
- • Food Safety & Security Monitoring Project Radiological Health-ORA
- • Food Safety and Security Monitoring Project Radiological Health
- • Food Safety and Security Monitoring Project (FERN)
- More Grants from the Food and Drug Administration
- • Development of Standard Core Clinical Outcomes Assessments (COAs) and Endpoints (UG3/UH3 C...
- • Renewal-Harmonization of Technical Requirements for Pharmaceuticals for Human Use (U01) Cl...
- • Smoking Machine Adaptor Design Project for ENDS, Cigars, and Heated Tobacco Products (UC2)...
- • CBER FY20 FOA for AAV vector manufacturing for diseases affecting very small populations (...
- • Drug Development Science Support (U01) Clinical Trials Optional